Saturday, May 12, 2012

How will you react when you realise your child is gay?

It is sad to have a knowing that some people will read the heading of this blog and completely ignore that it was ever written. But thank you to those who care enough about their children and are brave enough to read on.

I am a mother of 2 girls. I love my girls for all the things that are different about them. I love that they don't always follow the crowd and they are individuals. They are gorgeous, and love to dress up and wear make up. But they also love to play hard on the basketball court and love adventure.
So, if they came to me one day and said "Mum, I'm a lesbian!" what would I do?


Before I answered that question I want to tell you why I want ALL parents to think about the question heading for this blog.

I have a gay dad. I love my dad to bits. I love that unconditional love means that I still have a great relationship with him (thanks to my mum too). However he, and many others in this world, have been criticised, rejected and cut off from their families because the family members did not choose love above all else. I have spoken personally to countless men and women that have been kicked out of home, banished from speaking to their families and in some cases have attempted suicide because of the rejection from their families.

Let's wind back the clock. You hold your child for the first time. They are absolutely perfect and look up at you and your world changes because they are now in it. You start to look to the future and wonder what they will be when they grow up, who will they marry, will they travel the world? You think about these things and have your own image of how these questions will be answered. But one thing we have to remember is that we absolutely no control over that or whether you son or daughter is gay or straight. They are who they are!

There are many children and teenagers that I have interacted with that already probably know that they are gay, but for a variety of reasons don't understand it or verbalise it. I have taught my children to be loving and caring of ALL people and in particular to be sensitive to those of their friends that may 'come out' during the time of their friendship with them. I am hoping that by talking about it with my girls and educating them, that a friend will find comfort and safety in the friendship they have to be able to confide in them and find support through their 'coming out'.

But my child is only 2 years old, it doesn't affect me!
Talking about this is just as important as talking about immunisation or child locks on power points. It is a life or death situation and I would hate to see parents being anything other than loving and supportive. I am sure that when your child was born you didn't say "I will only take them home if they are straight, I will only take them home if they never misbehave, I will only take them home if they become a teacher like me". You loved them unconditionally! NEVER stop doing that.

So to answer the question "if my girls came to me one day and said "Mum, I'm a lesbian!" what would I do?
I would say "OK" and give them a hug. No drama, no over the top craziness. Just pure and simple love.

Some kids know this really early on in life, yet some don't come to this acceptance until they are older. Either way, they need you to love them.

4 comments:

  1. wonderful post my darling daughter. Let me be the first to comment. I am extremely proud of you and Bek......and welcome to the world of blogger.

    WARNING: it can become addictive. I am sure you will build a big audience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Hannah, well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't argue with love and support. A little more of that would go along way. We need to get the high rates of suicide down amongst gay and lesbian teenagers. It really does get better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's hope many read this and at least consider their response. Hoping parents will be better prepared after reading this blog. Fingers crossed, and thank you all for sharing it and paying it forward.

    ReplyDelete